Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Yield: 8
Canned or boxed pumpkin puree uses less than fresh roasted pumpkin. 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree is equal to two cups of fresh roasted pumpkin. If you have never roasted a pumpkin, give it a try. It is super easy and fresh roasted pumpkin is a great addition to your recipes.
- 1- 2 pound pie or sugar pumpkin or 3 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thick cashew cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash pumpkin removing any dirt and dry.
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the pulp and seeds. (Save seeds for roasting)
- Place pumpkin cut side down in a roasting pan.
- Add about ¼ inch water
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until tender (depends on size of pumpkin)
- Remove pumpkin from oven when tender and allow it to cool before scooping out meat of pumpkin – set pumpkin aside
- While pumpkin is roasting heat a large heavy stock pan on medium heat and add olive oil, garlic, onion, carrot and sauté until soft.
- Add vegetable broth and bay leaf, cinnamon, and ginger, and salt and bring to a boil and then reduce heat for 20 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree and cashew cream and stir until completely heated
- Transfer soup to a high-speed blender in batches and puree until smooth
- Serve immediately with chopped crispy apple or roasted pumpkin seeds
Protein: 7 gm
Carbs: 17 gm
Fat: 15 gm
From: View Original Post from Grain Free Wellness by Jackie Caldwell.
Recipe by Jackie Caldwell. Jackie is a holistic health coach and self taught chef. Jackie works with clients who suffer from autoimmune disorders such as Ulcerative Colitis, Celiac, Crohn’s disease, IBD, and anyone who needs to improve their digestive health. Learn more at www.grainfreewellness.com and contact Jackie at Jackie@grainfreewellness.com or 913-980-5605. Her office is located at Your Wellness Connection at 7415 Switzer.